Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering telephone with Lan cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My friend built up a place to do a little start up business apparently I am the only technical friend he has since I did his electrical wiring and computer builds ect.

Now there isnt any phone line available in the area since its a office environment also using land line phones would be ideal and since in our country its so expensive to call land line phones with cell phones. Ok an internet provider ran coaxial cable to the place and added a network switch and there is a computer there acting as the server.

The switch has some lan ports thats now full those lan ports are connected to the phone directly and then the phones have an Ethernet output port also which is connected to the CPU's to give internet.

The lines coming from the network switch can power the phones but since the lines from it is finished and I need to conect about 5 more phones I used one of the Ethernet lines coming from the network switch to enter another network switch and then tried to power another phone from the second network switch but it doesn't seem to be able to power another device that way.

Does anyone know how I could achieve this? (hope my explanation is clear enough)

The second switch must be PoE enabled.

Reactions: Enzy

Enzy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok thanks for the info I did some searches just now and I think I understand the concept, I didint want to make a post for this but thanks for the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.