Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding ATEX compatible design (IEC60079-11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Recently I'm trying to design a device compatible with ATEX for Zone1,Ex ia, IIC.
i've seen in IEC60079-11 that electrolyte or tantalum caps shouldn't be used. but i see in two different I.S (intrinsically safe) products that they used tantalum caps on board ... !
1- How can those Caps be use

Thanks

IEC60079-11 mentions "blocking capacitors" which are used to block DC component of a signal usually on input or output of the device. It also mentions "filter capacitors" and according to the description there these caps are placed between the enclosure (frame) of the device and intrinsically safe circuit. These are usually used for EMI/EMC. Only for these types of usage electrolytic or tantalum caps should not be used as they may short-circuit leading to failure of I.S. circuit. I think you can use electrolytic/tantalum caps to filter power rails, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back