Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dc-dc converter trainer kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmdrdo

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day Experts!

I'am planning on building a DC-DC converter trainer kit of some sort as a Design project for my program. I just want to seek an expert advice from you guys.

Most DC-DC converter kits I've seen do not focus on the control side of the power stage of the converter. I want to build one that focuses on the control side of the converters. I recently have learned the most popular control circuits used to control the power stage of a particular converter namely TYPE 2, TYPE3, PID. What I want to accomplish in the design is to demonstrate how these control schemes work and how a learner can choose what controller he/she must use for a particular topology and mode of control. I also want to incorporate a micro-controller platform for the control scheme like arduino.

Do you think this is doable? Can you suggest other features that I can include in the trainer that would be helpful for the learner?

Thanks and regards, Paul.

Attachments

• mosfet-based-pwm-chopper-trainer-kit-500x500.jpg
    mosfet-based-pwm-chopper-trainer-kit-500x500.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 78

Of course it is doable. You should go for a digital signal controller (DSC). You will have the flexibility to demonstrate all kind of control algorithm , linear control or even non linear. You could also demonstrate softstart, over voltage, under voltage shutdowns, different type of current limiting scheme.

Here is pdf on feedbackcontrol of smps

Attachments

• Feedback loop analysis.pdf
    610.9 KB · Views: 217

hello sac1991. Can the arduino be used as the digital signal controller?

Hi,

I'd say it's rather difficult to realize.
* switched high power currents call for a very good PCB layout. GND plane, short and wide traces....I assume it is hard to di with your big PCB.

* high switching frequencies, cycle by cycle regulation ... call for a fast regulation loop to ensure stable operation.
Usually this is done inside the SMPS chip with optimized parameters. Often not possible to modify the control loop.

* arduino as regulation controller. I doubt this is a good choice. You need small, but fixed signal delay through your controller.
For precise timing of the PWM you need extra hardware.

* it's for training purposes. You need to expect that someone operates it an unstable operating point...or he does soem other mistake. How do you ensure that the circuit doesn't fry?

Klaus

yes and sometimes a nice simualtion is good to see the control....you can adjust the control components and check
eg ltspice sim attached (ltspice is free)
But beware if you use high or mains voltages.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is sim attached, sorry my BTopenzone account is very slow and i could not do it in above post

Attachments

• Flyback 48V 1A _CCM.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 58

Status
Not open for further replies.