Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge Led Acid Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioelectrics

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two 12V 2Ah Led Acid Battery's YUASA NP2-12

These are serially wired to give 24V 2Ah

I am looking for a suitable charger or a schematic for such a charger.

Any ideas guys?

Hi,

You say your battery is 24V, 2Ah.

And you say you want a charger with 24V, 2A.

You know the difference between "A" and "Ah"? The one is current, the other is charge.
A rule if thumb says you should use a charge current of 2Ah/ 10h = 0.2A.

Maybe you don't find a charger with exactely 0.2A ... but it should be easy to modify the charge current. It usually depends just on one resistor value.

Klaus

Here is the charge profile for your specific battery per the manufacturer.

BATTERY CHARGINGING.JPG

24V lead acid charger information

There are many circuits out there, as there are many opinions on how the charge the batteries. Since they are connected in series you will need a minimum of 27.6 V to charge them. That is 13.8 x 2. If you use the float charge for the batteries that is 13.8VDC for a 12V lead acid battery.
If the float charge is used the battery will never be overcharged. With the float charger the charge current decreases when the battery is fully charged and can be very low, with a 2AH battery the charge current may reduce to about 10mA.

For a circuit you may want to consider a circuit that has a 1A diode, like a 1N4002 or a 1N5819 on the output. With the diode in the circuit the battery will not discharge if the charger looses line power. When using a diode you will need more than 27.6 volts because of the voltage drop across the diode. I can draw you a circuit that will work. I am in the USA and can provide you with a parts list and a source of supply if you like.

Be careful if you charge them at too high a current, then they may overheat and explode.....but at 200mA or less you should be ok.
You could always just buy a current source rated 200mA or less and connect that to it...check that it goes up to 30VDC. Preferably one with a voltage cut off at 35degc, no higher.
But really you should remember to only switch the current source on after you have connected it to the battery.
-Becuase current sources on open circuit tend to shoot up in voltage, and then if you connect it to the battery, it will be big inrush etc.
LED drivers are current sources , so that may do the job for you.

I have two 12V 2Ah Led Acid Battery's YUASA NP2-12

These are serially wired to give 24V 2Ah

I am looking for a suitable charger or a schematic for such a charger.

Any ideas guys?
Here is a schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.