Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

composite video to xy digital oscilloscope is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.m.m

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I wanted to know if it's possible to use a digital oscilloscope (rigol ds1054z in fact, ) to show up composite video on the scope as w2aew showed in his topic.
It would need a Z-input in addition to the x and y inputs, could we use the ext-trigger for the scope or is that for something else?

Thanks for helping

You can use any oscilloscope (within reason) to display a picture. All you need is the ability to drive the X axis at line scan rate and the Y axis at frame scan rate and to be able to feed the video to the Z input. You can use the internal timebase as the line scan generator and trigger it from sync pulses in the video but you have to generate the sawtooth (ramp) waveform for vertical scanning (Y axis) yourself and also reset it from the sync in the video.

I'm not sure of the exact spec of that Rigol but if it has a Z input it should work.

Brian.

Reactions: m.m.m

m.m.m

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Some digital oscilloscopes expose a Z-input in XY-mode. It can be used to operate the oscilloscope with respective X and Y deflection signals as raster graphic display. Z modulation is usually on-off only, no grey tones possible. As for the DS1054, I trust in your capability to read a user manual, does it mention Z input or blanking in X-Y mode?

Reactions: m.m.m

m.m.m

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back