Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Customized DSP board

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_byte31

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

did any body try to make his own DSP board ? ( using TI DSP for example)

all the resources over internet was about buying boards not making them.

I would like to know how to can I build my own board and make interfaces with RAM , ADC , .....

This will be a nice learning curve for me.

Many people did - and even got paid for doing so...
Fortunately, some of them studied 4 years or more in a good university before engaging in this form of art.
These strange people are called: "Board Designers".

There're many (many many many) good resources on this subject.

In essence, designing a board with a TI DSP at its center isn't very different than designing a board with small microcontroller. The design flow is the same and you should follow the same good engineering practices.

I would like to know how to can I build my own board and make interfaces with RAM , ADC , .....
Everywhere I've worked for the past decade has made their own DSP boards. Be warned this is not as simple as making a simple microcontroller board. Think more along the lines of an advanced microcontroller board or a processor board. You also shouldn't try to make some silly 2-layer board for a DSP processor. You'll probably need at least an 8-layer board with power/ground planes. Most of the boards that have been made in-house where I've worked typically are 16-22 layers, but those boards typically have an FPGA or two on the board with >1000 pins have >5 voltages rails.

Hi,

"TI DSP"... TI has a broad range of different DSPs.
You should be more precise:
* What DSP?
* RAM. Why external, what interface, what size?
* ADC. Why external, what interface, what specifications?

Out of curiosity I´ve chosen one random TI DSP datasheet.
It has RAM inside. It additionally has a DDR3 RAM interface. IT has an ADC interface. It has a 625 pin BGA package.

Klaus

Along with the above recommendations, it is convenient to define exactly for which application do you intend to use this DSP-based project. If it is for image or sound, this may restrict the numerical notation of the ALU (float x fixed point) as well as the magnitude of the A/D, presumably external. In addition, for practical purposes, an external CODEC may also be required. In shorts, you have to be a bit more precise in defining the project scope to avoid under/over estimate its specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back