+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Programmable Priority Encoder

Can someone help me in designing a programmable priority encoder using verilog . A programmable priority encoder is a device where in addition to the the normal i/p and o/p's of a simple priority encoder there is one more input to decide which bit should have highest priority. Eg. for 4 : 2 programmable priority encoder..there would be 2 select input to decide the priority say [1:0]S.
    If S=00; I0 has highest priority..and the priority order will be I0>I3>I2>I1
    If S=01; I1 has highest priority..and the priority order will be I1>I0>I3>I2
    If S=10; I2 has highest priority..and the priority order will be I2>I1>I0>I3
    If S=11; I3 has highest priority..and the priority order will be I3>I2>I1>I0
    ..The solution is desired to be generic like the logic should remain same for 8:3 and 16:4 priority encoders as well...
    Any suggestions would be very helpful...Please help ASAP!!

•   Alt13th July 2017, 17:00

advertising

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1808 / 1808
    Level

Re: Programmable Priority Encoder

So what have you done so far, and what are you having problems with?

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Well..my first approach was that to make a 8:3 programmable priority encoder I made eight regular priority encoders and one 8:1 mux . Each priority encoder has a fixed request order, and the multiplexer passes the desired code to the output. But its is not very efficient . I want a logic which is more efficient but nothing is striking my head.

•   Alt14th July 2017, 09:59

advertising

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Yeah but I wish to design such a logic in which when a 4:2 programmable priority encoder is converted to a 8:3 programmable priority encoder no major changes have to be made. If you seem to have any idea on how to do it please help me out.

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    12195 / 12195
    Level

But its is not very efficient.
    I doubt that it matters. You write a behavioral description of the logic function and the synthesis tool tries to minimize the logic.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see a problem to write a parameterizable generic encoder description which works for N outputs and select inputs respectively 2^N request inputs.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, the encoder should also have a specific output to "no request set", so you either need to reduce the number of request inputs to 2^N - 1, or use an additional encoder output.

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Are you really not getting what I wanna say..See I got a thing here...If we add a left rotator followed by a priority arbiter and then a right rotator followed by an encoder...This would act like a priority encoder..

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1808 / 1808
    Level

Its not clear what you really want help with, or what the problem really is.
    Have you written any code? have you compared different implementations?

•   Alt16th July 2017, 19:35

advertising

Advanced Member level 2

Helped
    208 / 208
    Level

A for-loop version probably works fine.

if not, you can convert it into a rotate + priority encoder + adder, at least for the 2^N inputs case.

There are a few other implementations possible. For example, you can create constants for 10101010, 11001100, 11110000 etc... based on elaboration time constants. Then you can use the "(-x) and (x)" trick to get a one-hot value. each bit of the encoder is then the or-reduction of "constant(n) and one_hot". That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it is actually better. The use of the addition should force the tools to use a different implementation method though.

But I'd start by comparing the for-loop version to a more verbose fixed sized version. It doesn't take much time and allows you to determine if the for-loop approach happens to map better to a LUT based implementation.

--[[ ]]--