Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Derating MOSFET for High Frequency Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradhan.rachit

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Experts,

I am building a Full Bridge DC-DC Converter with the following ratings:

Vin: 150V
Iin: 10.5A
fs: 35kHz

I'm having problems in selection of the MOSFETs. How do I derate the MOSFETs and operate it in the SOA on the basis of high frequency operation?

I couldn't find any plots of the derating to be made on the basis of switching frequency. I assume that I cannot take the continuous drain current while selecting the MOSFET? If not, is there any way to derate the MOSFET at the selected operating frequency?

- Rachit

Hi,

there is no "derating vs frequency" chart in the datasheet.

Look for "switching loss". It mainly depends on:
* Mosfet (gate charge)
* gate driver capability (gate driving current)
* DC voltage (150V)
* switching current (usually more than the 10.5A)
* switching frequency (35kHz)
There are lots of application notes. Look at MOSFET manufacturer´s internet sites.

and the MOSFET has conducting loss:
about: I_avg ^2 * R_DS_on / duty_cycle

Klaus

Total transistor losses of power switch are comprised of conduction and switching losses.

Switching losses depend on off-state voltage, on-state current, rise-/fall time and switching frequency. It's no datasheet parameter because it varies according to application circuit and respective waveforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.