+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 2

Helped
    24 / 24
    Level

Connecting FPGA board to an external device for IO, what precautions to take?

I am going to connect my FPGA board to my PlayStation controller port. The FPGA shall monitor the data going back and forth between the console and the controller. The basic concept on how to get the signals on the FPGA board (physically) is done.

I have a basic question, the signals being monitored are going to be between 0-3.3V. However, what precautions should I take to prevent damage to the FPGA? Should I put a latch in between the FPGA the signals being monitored so the FPGA shall be shielded from the signals coming from the console and controller? Or connect an inverted diode to reduce the current flow into the FPGA? Or something else?

I think it shall be safe to connect the console-controller common ground to ground of the FPGA so the console-controller signals can be correctly monitored. The FPGA board shall be powered from a seperate power supply than the console but both of them are connected to the mains anyway.

What risks exist in this? I just want to mitigate any potential scenario that may damage my FPGA.

•   Alt11th July 2017, 14:05

advertising

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster

Helped
    2196 / 2196
    Level

Re: Connecting FPGA board to an external device for IO, what precautions to take?

Hi,

Why a latch?
    Why not the usual IO ESD protection circuits?

But first: you say protection. Against what signals? Voltage, current, capacitance..
    At least an explanation.

Klaus

--[[ ]]--