Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Orcad layout questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArakelTheDragon

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
If you like the post, please press "Like".
Activity points
Only 1 of the threads was a double post, please leave this one!

I am trying to create footprints in Eco Layout.
I want to know after I change the units to "mm", what do I see down left? Is 1000 = 1mm or 100 = 1mm?

I made a PIC12 footprint but in the datasheet on page 94 I see the note that pin 1 should be under the scratched zone and that means under the processor?
**broken link removed**

This part is solved!

When I make the PIC footprint, I made the pins rectangles, but there is a distance from the outline to the pin, is that ok, should I make the pins round?

How much should be the soldering part on layers top and bottom? I put 40-50% more, meaning 0.150 for the drill layers whole and 0.300 for the top and bottom layers. If .150 is 1.5mm than its good I guess? If the pin is maximum 0.55mm in the datasheet, is 0.6 enough or 0.5? Is this available somewhere in the datasheet, 110 pages are a little too much for just checking. Normally they give it 1square mm of cable for 10A current as far as I remember, are there any rulles that I should follow, 1mm of soldering for 10A current?

How to autoroute in Layout, I only have the manual option, the rest is greyed out?
How to autoplace in Layout?

Thank you for the help in advance!

Last edited:

While we are on the topic, when a diode like "1n4148", with a body according to the datasheet of 3.4mm max, and the pins "Anode" and "Kathode" are 25.4mm long each, while the pin width is 0.55mm max.
https://www.vishay.com/docs/81857/1n4148.pdf page 3

Should I put the wholes as close as possible to the body, 1mm from it is the outline of the whole,, how much should be the distance between the outline (surrounding) of the whole? How will the smd machine solder the diode? I am guessing it will bend the pinto 1-2mm from the body?

Should I make the whole 0.6mm or 0.5mm since the pin is 0.55mm max?

Last edited:

Look sharp. Note 1 in the Microchip datasheet is talking about the index mark on top of the package, not pin 1 position.

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't delete parts of your original post. Very confusing.

Sorry if I caused confusion, I didnt delete it, I just put it in "QUOTES", should I change it back?

I made a PIC12 footprint but in the datasheet on page 94 I see the note that pin 1 should be under the scratched zone and that means under the processor?
Look sharp. Note 1 in the Microchip datasheet is talking about the index mark on top of the package, not pin 1 position.

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't delete parts of your original post. Very confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

While we are on the topic, when a diode like "1n4148", with a body according to the datasheet of 3.4mm max, and the pins "Anode" and "Kathode" are 25.4mm long each, while the pin width is 0.55mm max.
Suggest to review some example layouts and tutorials instead of reinventing the wheel (or possibly the square wheel).

An appropriate footprint for DIP8 or other components for conventional PCBs like 1N4148 has round (or in some cases square) pads with a through-plated drilled hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if I caused confusion, I didnt delete it, I just put it in "QUOTES", should I change it back?
I see. Please no further edits, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back