Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial RS232 Seat Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviationteacher

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone--first post for me, so here goes.

I recently came into possession of a pair of ex-Northwest Airlines business class seats from a DC-10. One in the pair has a video monitor that comes out of the armrest. The monitor is labeled "Northwest Worldlink", a defunct system aboard early 90s long-haul NW airplanes. There is also a remote control on the side which has several buttons like flight attendant call, light, and video selecting/game controls -- but I believe that feature was long turned off/disabled.

Coming out from below the seats are three cables: an electrical (black)-wrapped 9 pin male serial cable, a soft sided silver wrapped wire containing nine very small thin cables, and a red/white cable which I believe is for the headphone jack.

Any thoughts on which is the power and which is the remote? How was it powered? And, if possible, can I get it running again or send a signal to the monitor?

Thanks! See attached photo of the serial cable and wrapped wire.

UPDATE: I found the US Patent and electrical designs...hopefully someone can decode it for me. The system was called Hughes-Avicom APAX-150.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US5311302.pdf

I can't be much help, but I doubt the 9-pin connector is RS232 serial. The patent describes using an Arcnet LAN for communication with the central computer. No mention is made of RS232 as an external interface. Arcnet is a token-passing bus network and not something you can just plug into a PC and bring up a terminal.

The video/audio interface is likely similar to a cable TV signal. Multiplexed channels on differing frequencies. Not something easy to use without really knowing the fine details.

The patent isn't really much help because it's a block diagram with only suggestions of what components and protocols to use, and it's clearly a complex system. Fascinating, though. My tiny experience on aircraft systems predates this by a fair bit. What you need is actual schematics and pinouts.

You might get lucky and someone around here will have worked on the system... would be an interesting project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back