Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch Mode Power Supply - Component Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebhoi01

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I would like to ask help from you guys. After so many days of searching I have found the method as well as the components that I will use to make DC supply with 5V output with 110 to 480 VAC input.

I have found this switching transformer https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...bs4Y2T2J5aH6N5pXhMBy5ud1wRZP2zrGhnYcy5/pQug==

based on its specification sheet, it can accept 110-600VAC which is perfect for my project.

I began searching for switching controllers and found out this chip https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...100R2G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtqO%2bWUGLBzeNgIMhwsXnBW

as i go through its specification sheet, it is very compatible with the transformer i just found in fact this is the typical circuit specified on its spec sheet

12.PNG

My problem now is, i find the specification sheet vague, in solving for the value of the external components to be used. I really tried to understand and studied the spec sheet but still I am not confident.

Does anyone has any experience with this particular chip? Or are there any chip of this topology that has a much simpler and elaborate specification sheet? I would really appreciate any body's help. Thank you.

Hello,

I would like to ask help from you guys. After so many days of searching I have found the method as well as the components that I will use to make DC supply with 5V output with 110 to 480 VAC input.

I have found this switching transformer https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...bs4Y2T2J5aH6N5pXhMBy5ud1wRZP2zrGhnYcy5/pQug==

based on its specification sheet, it can accept 110-600VAC which is perfect for my project.

I began searching for switching controllers and found out this chip https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...100R2G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtqO%2bWUGLBzeNgIMhwsXnBW

as i go through its specification sheet, it is very compatible with the transformer i just found in fact this is the typical circuit specified on its spec sheet

View attachment 139825

My problem now is, i find the specification sheet vague, in solving for the value of the external components to be used. I really tried to understand and studied the spec sheet but still I am not confident.

Does anyone has any experience with this particular chip? Or are there any chip of this topology that has a much simpler and elaborate specification sheet? I would really appreciate any body's help. Thank you.

Hi,
Check out the NXP's Flyback Design Tool which gives you full solution for your flyback converter.

Thank you, I'm checking on it now.

I have tried the link, and I'm amazed. However, the final circuit has quite a number of parts. I also need to know the calculation part so I can understand the circuit better. But thanks anyway, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Hi,

A frequently asked question...therefore you may find many useful threads here in this forum.

Generally
* start your design with deciding your specifcations (don't choose a transformer at first)
* then decide useful circuit topology
* then choose SMPS IC
* then choose the periferal (passive) devices...like the transformer.

My hint:
If you look for
* latest datasheets
* application notes
* and other help for your design (like simulation software, selection guides...)
...then go to the IC manufacturer's internet site.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.