Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Oscillator Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Yes very basic question please help me to understand how crystal oscillator works. It has got two pins OSC1 and OSC2 what those pins indicate whether I need to give 5v to both of them? What is the sequence of steps to make the crystal oscillator to work? At least the proper links for understanding. I am unable to make a small oscillator to work.:cry: or at least find the root cause.

Look up the datasheet for the chip you are using at the manufacturer's website.

Hi
Is it oscilator or crystal? you say there is only 2 pins , OSC1,OSC2. what about Out and VCC.Can you share oscillator part number?

probably uses a schmitt trigger invertor. the crystal is connected from the input to the output of the invertor. Typically each side of the crystal as a small capacitor to ground. The value of the capacitor depends on the crystal, they will have a spec, 18pf, 30pf etc. The value you use, has to take in the capacitance of the IC input/output pins.

Say you have a 18 pf crystal, and the IC has 6pf to ground. The crystal would see 3 pf across it (6pf in series with 6pf). that means you need another 15 pf. If you tie a 30 pf cap to ground on each end of the Cap, you get 15pf (30pf series 30 pf=15pf)

I am sorry it is a crystal not an oscillator.
A crystal is a passive part and cannot oscillate by its own.
For oscillating purposes, it needs a surrounding circuitry with an an amplifier (opamp or transistor).

Status
Not open for further replies.