Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Indicator Using Zener Diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravkothari23

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.
I need to make a battery indicator where a LED glows when the voltage is below 3.6V. i have attached a circuit diagram of battery indicator using 3.6V zener diode and PNP transistor. can anybody please let me know if the things would work or need to change something.

Attachments

• BAT IND NEW.png
    BAT IND NEW.png
    35 KB · Views: 161

Hi,

The circuit seems to be from a simulation tool. Does it work in simulation?

Can you describe the function principle?

Is it really a good idea to switch ON a LED when charge is low? This may lead to extensive draining out the battery ... and most probably this will kill the battery.

Klaus

Hi,

The circuit seems to be from a simulation tool. Does it work in simulation?

Can you describe the function principle?

Is it really a good idea to switch ON a LED when charge is low? This may lead to extensive draining out the battery ... and most probably this will kill the battery.

Klaus

i am using a 1.5V x 4 alkaline battery for my project. the basic principal is when the voltage is above 3.6V the current would flow through the zener diode and will keep the PNP transistor base high which would keep the led OFF. and when the voltage reaches below the 3.6v the diode would resist the flow of current which would make the transistor base pin low with the help of R15 resistor, which is pulled down to GND, which will make the LED glow. but while stimulation the LED does not go OFF at any voltage. i tried it from 12V to 2V. but the LED stays ON.
yes it will kill the battery when the system is on and voltage is above 3.6V, so what changes can i make to let the battery drainage to be nominal

Hi,

basic principle of a BJT:
If there is no base current ... then there willl be no collector current.

Similar: if base-emitter voltage is low, then LED is OFF.

There is something wrong with your idea.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back