Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion for SMD Wire to Board Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny101

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am using SMD Wire to Board Header for high-speed (200Hz) communication (an accelerometer is connected through the header), which is attached below. This header basically uses PICO-Lock to hold.

But The problem with this header is that it is discontinuous when the wires connected with the header are moved (requirement of the application).
Size of the header: 15mm x 5mm. Size is major constraint on the PCB.

Kindly suggest me the header similar to this or a better technique to connect the wires with the board (can't do soldering).

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-...3743D35343237313431267374613D3534323731343126

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-...3743D33343231363936267374613D3334323136393626

Attachments

• 7way header1.JPG
    7way header1.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 7way header2.JPG
    7way header2.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 101

Hi,

A couple of holes in the PCB either side of the connector - a few mm behind it for the wires, and a cable tie to secure the wires, strap them down, might work for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe silicone/rubbery glue might work to hold the header and connection ends of the wires to the PCB.

Hi,

A couple of holes in the PCB either side of the connector - a few mm behind it for the wires, and a cable tie to secure the wires, strap them down, might work for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe silicone/rubbery glue might work to hold the header and connection ends of the wires to the PCB.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out.

Also Can you suggest any better method of connecting wires with the board ( keeping in mind that connection should be detachable).

Hi,

If you can, maybe a picture of that part of the PCB would help, and stating the diameter of the wires.

Have you looked at spring loaded pcb terminals? Here is a 7 contact one (on RS):

Phoenix Contact COMBICON PTSM Series 2.5mm Pitch Straight, PCB Terminal Block, Surface Mount, 7 Way

This is the surface mount filtered PCB Terminal Blocks page, there were 100 to browse.

No doubt there are other, equally suitable connector types, but spring-loaded came to mind as I'm not so sure I get the part about "detachable connection" and "discontinuous when the wires connected with the header are moved".

I thought maybe spring loaded as then you only need one part (and barrel terminals), not male and female connectors. Without knowing more about the PCB you have, or much about this subject, perhaps the problem is more related to providing strain relief for the cables, allowing for twisting off the board (that's what you mean, I think), than the connector type?

Also, maybe robotics applications may have suitable solutions to this kind of issue, anything that turns/is articulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back