Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Calculating the input offset voltage for OpAmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajiknomi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an OpAmp which states that its Input Offset Voltage is 2mV typical but I want to practically calculate the actual offset it will have at the room temperature. So I have connected the circuit in the following manner on the breadboard.

Capture.PNG

The Ouput voltage i got is 4.4mV, so does this means that the input offset in practice at the current temperature is (Output Offset / Gain) i.e 4.4mV/2V2 => 2mv ?

P.S : I also measure the output of 72mV when i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground. When i left the input both open(floating), the output comes out to be 50~54mV

Last edited:

Hi,

If you want to calculate output offset from datasheet, then you need to take care about input_bias_current, too.

Assuming input bias current is negligible:
Your circuit shows a gain for offset (and input referred noise) of (22k +10k) / 10k) = 3.2
So in your case the input refferred offset voltag is 4.4mV / 3.2 = 1.375mV.

i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground
This gives no meanigful result. This method is useless.

Klaus

Your circuit shows a gain for offset (and input referred noise) of (22k +10k) / 10k) = 3.2

What is input referred noise ? The gain shouldn't be Rf/Rin = 22k/10k=>2.2 in the above case ?

i connected the Inverting and non-Inverting inputs directly to ground
That was just to know how the OpAmp behaves when both the inputs are applied the same PD, i.e. Zero in this case

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: KlausS you are right, By neglecting the input bias current, Vout/Vin comes out to be (10k+22k)/10k according to the above schematic.

Hi,

If you want to calculate output offset from datasheet, then you need to take care about input_bias_current, too.

Assuming input bias current is negligible:

This gives no meanigful result. This method is useless.

Klaus

I think they called that the output offset voltage. :wink:

Is the op amp a rail to rail input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back