Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doubt in fpga terminal program

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
serial port demo program working.. but nothing in terminal

hi,

i am trying to do hello world program mentioned in below video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtVLTB4hM4

but i got a problem with rx and tx pin assignment..at 4.45 in video. i am using quartus prime 16.0. here the below mentioned pins are not assignable.
so i tried by assigning only clock, but in terminal after running program nothing is displaying. so i think its because of not assigning the pins for tx and rx. anybody know how to solve this problem ?

Signal Name FPGA Pin No. Description I/O Standard

HPS_UART_RX PIN_B25 HPS UART Receiver 3.3V
HPS_UART_TX PIN_C25 HPS UART Transmitter 3.3V
HPS_CONV_USB_n PIN_B15 Reserve 3.3V

the above one is from user manual of cyclone 5 sockit .(you can get it from google it & first result and then page 38)

so anybody know how to do it . any help is really appreciated

tthanks

Re: serial port demo program working.. but nothing in terminal

If the pins are not assignable then maybe you've got a different package than the demo references...

Re: serial port demo program working.. but nothing in terminal

hi,
those pins are belong to hps..

regards

hi,

did altera cyclone 5 sx fpga will work with terminal program ( like putty, teraterm) with out booting linux from sd card?

like "hello world" program works in cyclone 2 fpga ?

trying to print hello world , didnt get a reference program with soc kit, there is two demos, one is using jtag uart and other one is booting from sd card.

thanks and regards

Hi,

If
* the FPGA output is UART style
* the voltage levels and polarity is correct
* the baudrate is correct
* the transmit parameters (usually "8N1") are correct
...Then it should work

Klaus

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As said in #2 terminal programs ( like putty, teraterm) are independent of FPGA dev boards.
If your RTL simulation is working properly, just check out the proper settings of the terminal programs.

dipin

Not clear what you want to achieve. JTAG UART provides a terminal interface through the Altera JTAG stack, but as far as I know, doesn't provide a virtual COM port that can be accessed by a PC terminal program.

I would expect a real UART implemented in FPGA, connected to a RS-232 driver of the eval board (or possibly throughly an USB bridge).

Secondly, how do you want to implement "Hello world"?. By a OS-less ("bare metal") SOC program? Or in pure HDL?

dipin

hi,

i am using nios2 processor + rs232(serial port) + onchip ram. my baud rate is 115200 in both uart and terminal. i tried ttwo terminal, putty and teraterm.

still not able to get it ..i will post my full project here .. what i done is generated qsys system and wrote a wrapper for it
Code:
module uart_top ( clk,tx,rx);

input clk;
input rx;
output tx;

uart_qsys u0 (
		.clk_clk       (clk),       //     clk.clk
		.reset_reset_n (1'b1), //   reset.reset_n
		.rs232_0_RXD   (rx),   // rs232_0.RXD
		.rs232_0_TXD   (tx)    //        .TXD
	);

endmodule

following is the pin assignments pinplanner.JPG

after that i went to eclipse and create the project and bsp files, then run it n hardware configuration. its showing download to fpga successful but nothing showing in terminal.

i got a doubt about pisnassignment, rx and tx are not able to assign in pinplannerfpgapin.JPG. so after few searching i selected 3.3 ltvvt in i/o part

can any body help me on this please

regards

regrds

Last edited:

I don't use Altera, so will not comment on the pin assignment correctness.

But 1 point regarding your uart_qsys u0 instiantiation.
This statement .reset_reset_n (1'b1), // reset.reset_n indicates that uart_qsys is always in non-reset state. But it might need a LOW to HIGH going transition for proper functioning. So please review the uart_qsys docu as to how the reset should actually be.

dipin

hi,
below is my full project.

ATTACH]139787[/ATTACH]

teraterm is recognizing my port, in tera teram i am selecting serial port which is already detected by teraterm (com 12) and then open the teramterm, then
>> setup>> serial port>> set baudrate to 115200.

this is how i doing it but it was not a success :(

so can you guys please check my project above ?

regards

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use Altera, so will not comment on the pin assignment correctness.

But 1 point regarding your uart_qsys u0 instiantiation.
This statement .reset_reset_n (1'b1), // reset.reset_n indicates that uart_qsys is always in non-reset state. But it might need a LOW to HIGH going transition for proper functioning. So please review the uart_qsys docu as to how the reset should actually be.

hi i tried it by connecting the reset to slide switch in fpga. but when the switch is in low, the eclipse is throwing the error(during running as hardware), when i made it high eclipse is running fine but nothing on the terminal :(

regards

Attachments

• uart_top1.zip
    22.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.