Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion detection with a twist (...or a point...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaxoftherockies

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I would like to build a box that uses a motion detector, a servo and, I would guess, an Arduino. Simply stated, I would like to servo to move a pointer in the direction of the motion. F'rinstance, if you walked up to it from the right, the pointer would swing right and point at you. Also would like the pointer to follow you as you walk around the box.

Would someone here like to help me get started with how this would be done? I have fairly good electronics understanding, so I'm not expecting anyone to design it for me. Just looking for some theory details; I've never worked with motion detection before, so any clarity on that part would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- a -

A simple way to do it is to have several photodetectors spaced around a circle. The servo is idle until a detector sees a change in illumination as someone approaches. Then send a signal to the servo telling it to point in that direction.

Although the servo is a reasonable choice, it probably has limits of travel in each direction. This may not be acceptable, and you might want to consider a motor-driven pointer.

A simple way to do it is to have several photodetectors spaced around a circle. The servo is idle until a detector sees a change in illumination as someone approaches. Then send a signal to the servo telling it to point in that direction.

Although the servo is a reasonable choice, it probably has limits of travel in each direction. This may not be acceptable, and you might want to consider a motor-driven pointer.

Thanks, Brad. I'll give that a try and see what I can get.

= a =

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back