Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling a RJ45 Pass through Coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

KozmoK

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I'm a noob trying to figure out a project to help save my sanity.

I am making a Raspberry Pi Game Time Bank for my teenage son - I am getting tired of yelling at him to turn his ps4 off he gext x hours a day in the summer to play. I wrote a timer app for the raspberry pi that gives him x minutes a day, and it resets the next day and has a countdown on a LCD that he can pause. I have two rj45 breakout boards with connectors.
What IC could i use to switch all the 8 pins off and on from the RJ45?

I was thinking I could get away with using:

GPIO Pin -> 1K resistor -> NPN 2n2222 transistor base - the other two transistor pins would be connected to pin 1 of one rj45 input, and the other to pin 1 of the RJ45 input.
GPIO Pin -> 1K resistor -> NPN 2n2222 transistor base - the other two transistor pins would be connected to pin 1 of one rj45 input, and the other to pin 2 of the RJ45 input.

Would a cleaner way to use a MAX335 serial switch? I would have to have another chip to drive that serial chip right?

Thanks!

Do you really need to switch all 8 pins?
If the link is 100MB/s or less, the chances are you are not using 4 of the 8 wires anyway and even then, breaking only one of the outgoing or incoming wires should be enough to kill the network connection as it would prevent requests or replies from being transferred.

I would use one GPIO pin to drive a transistor then a tiny (reed type maybe) relay to break just one of the connections.

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

I ordered a MAGNECRAFT W107DIP-5 REED RELAY - will give it a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.