Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT reliable Connection in high vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa_am

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi mates,
What is the best way to connect high power IGBTs that has pin terminal as shown in the picture?
I would like the connection to be reliable in a harsh environment and high vibration.

Thank you

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• 1446823990-flowPHASE-0+NTC_151105 copy.jpg
    1446823990-flowPHASE-0+NTC_151105 copy.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 70

I didn't read the datasheet, but the pins are clearly designed for solderless press fit connection. Very reliable with correctly designed PCB and right tools.

The millipede first need to be fixed on a large heat sink and screwed with nuts and bolts. The socket is fitted on the PCB and must have some play to adjust. I have not seen a socket for the device but it may be more expensive than the device itself.

The mechanical attachment (nuts and bolts) should be made vibration proof too.
This means lock washers and/or thread locker.

BTW, the attachment shows an "invalid" error.

Thank you all for your comments.
Dear FvM, I don't like use PCB. I prefer direct wire connection. But I am confused, how can I connect a single high power cable to multiple pins?

The modules are designed for PCB press-fit mount or alternatively PCB solder connection with the complete power wiring implemented on the PCB. They are not well suited for cable connection.

The big question mark in my mind is by what traces? I already designed a PCB for 35A and the traces end up to 150mil width with 2oz copper weight. This module is around 80A. Unfortunately, there is limited choice amound IGBTs with screw type terminal. So, I am looking for a method to connect post terminal to wire without PCB. I could not figure out how to use lock washer/ thread locker with this kind of terminals. I would be appreciated if you share your ideas.

Thanks

You can always solder some wires to terminal pins, even if they aren't designed for. Not particularly reliable, I believe.

To improve the wire to terminal connection strength, wrap tinned wire around it before soldering or use metal sleeves.

I guess there will be multiple power pins on the module. My suggestion: use individual cables for each pin and connect them appropriately at the other end. Like the style used in SMPS power connectors used in desktop PCs.

Hi,

I don't think wires are an improvement...mechanically.
At least they will increase inductance...this may result in electrical problems.

Klaus

I could not figure out how to use lock washer/ thread locker with this kind of terminals. I would be appreciated if you share your ideas.

Thanks

The lock thread is only for the mounting screws, that would secure the connector PWB with the module assembly.
You would want to make sure that the board and module are both mechanically secure and not rely on the solder joints for strength.

But if you are not employing a connector PWB, this suggestion does not apply.

thank you all, I'll give it some tries, and share it if I come to a feasible solution.

thank you all, I'll give it some tries, and share it if I come to a feasible solution.

Please remember that the force experienced by any given component in the vibration setup is just proportional to its mass; the force will act at the joints (or mounts; means screws and solder points) and will be the real concern of failures.

Short flexible connections act as shock absorbers and strong stiff mounting (with nuts and blots) help to distribute and transfer the force to the main body.

The key point is that the setup is not a rigid body; assume that the setup is a set of rigid bodies connected with some flexible connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.