Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mic preamplifier for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHacker

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to increase the range of my mic which i am using in my pc. Right now i am using a mic from torn from a headphone connected it directly to 3.5mm jack. but the range is very bad. Can i use a pre-Amp to to boost it. If yes then please suggest a preamp circuit which can be used with 3.5mm jack. Or any other circuit which might be helpful.

There are hundreds of mic pre-amp designs on the Internet if you search. You should use a low noise one and avoid anything using the ancient 741 op-amp (there are a few around).

Note that amplifying the mic signal will not make someone more distant sound close up, it will just make everything you hear at the moment louder, including hiss and all background sounds.

Brian.

I asked for a setting on my new hearing aids that has extra boosted sensitivity. Background noise is no problem because there is noise reduction. Loud sounds are not too loud because there is compression.
I was walking in the mall listening to the boosted faint background music and heard my name called behind me. I turned around but nobody was there, she was far away at the other end of the mall talking to a person with my name on her phone.

can you suggest me a preamp circuit. i tried one with lm358 but didnt work. And i am a bit confused how to connect 3.5mm jack to the output. It would be very great if u pointed me the right direction.

When you say "it didn't work" what does that mean? Was it noisy? Did it explode? The LM358 is an antique, I would suggest you use a modern low-noise device. Or even a dedicated preamp chip. Look at TI, they have quite a few preamps.

The LM358 is horrible as a mic preamp because it has a high noise level (hiss), crossover distortion and cannot produce high level output at frequencies above 2kHz. A modern audio opamp should be used instead because it will have low noise, very low distortion and can play high level frequencies up to 100kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.