Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] High current Power Supply on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sac1991

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey Guys,
I am very new to high current power supply, how high current (100A) power supplies are made in PCB. I am trying to design a 12V 100A power supply, but very confused about how to handle 100A on the output side. I have search in the Internet, but didn't got the whole idea. Can anyone help

For such high currents there are basically two options:
1. Distribute the supply over several stages connected in parallel. Like what is done for CPU supplies on motherboards. Doable because the voltage is quite low, and the load is mounted on the same PCB, surrounded by the supply circuitry.
2. Move the power components off the PCB, use modules which mount directly to the chassis or a heat spreader. The PCB will only contain low power control, sensing, and gate drive circuitry.

Vicor do some nice high current modules if you wish.
Also, i have attached the below , all about your subject.

LTspice sim also attached

- - - Updated - - -

Be wary of paralleling SMPS....it can have some nasty holes to fall down..as the report tells

- - - Updated - - -

I like the paralleled arrangement where one is the master and controls vout...and the others all monitor the masters output current and try and regulate their output current to that of the master......this always works well as long as you get the feedback loop bandwidths not too near each other, otherwise they fight....the slaves should be 'quicker' than the master, so to speak

Attachments

• Low Voltage high current SMPS.doc
    214.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Bucks_paralleled.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Bucks_paralleled.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 122

Multilayer boards (4 minimum), both to carry the current and conduct the heat, are required.

Also, the board's copper plating thickness is increased to 4oz/ft or even thicker. Stamped copper busbars may also be used.

I have came aross Metal Core/Clad PCB. The Insulated Metal Substrate technology greatly improves thermal management in pcb. Anyone is working this ??

Follow the ideas used in the 800W to 1000W SMPS used in high end PCs.

Good practices- it will be simpler than the SMPS for the PC- because you are asking for one voltage output only.

You can expect efficiencies about 95% with proper care.

Yes Metal PCB are single layer PCB. In that way power board can be designed on one PCB and control board on a different PCB. I have seen a TI inverter of 14kW design was doe on Metal PCB .

Status
Not open for further replies.