Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium-Ion Battery Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiran_dam

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I have to design a rechargeable battery charger. This is the first time I am designing a battery charger circuit. Therefore, I need to clarify few thing from the experienced designers out there. Please help me in this regard.

I have already studied the charging profiles and schemes for the Li-Ion and the Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. I am listing my confusions and question as follows.

Q.1. What will be the battery model that should be considered for designing a battery charger. Is it mandatory to consider the discharging profile of the battery as well for charger design? If I consider an equivalent capacitance (Cbat) corresponding to the capacity of the battery, will it be enough for emulating the battery in my circuit simulation?

Q.2. Lets assume the battery internal impedance given in datasheet of a given battery is Rb. Now, my question should Rb be considered in series with the Cbat?

Q.3. Will this minimal capacitive model representing only the charging port of the battery be used for both transient and ac analyses?

Please help me to select a correct (approximately) electrical circuit model for a rechargeable battery.

Thanks
Sam.

Hi,

Q1: I don´t hink so. Imagine a discharged capacitor. Charged with constant current: The voltage will follow a straight line from zero to target voltage.
A battery´s voltage behaves very different

Q2: battery impedance is a series impedance ... to the ideal battery.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.