Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What precision of the OSC in LT8390?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, ALL,
I designed a RF module pwoered by LT8390.
It has a internal OSC, which decided by a external RT pin resistor.
the follwoing picture is the RT resistor vs. switching freq.
So,
1. Could any one estimate the switching freq pricision? I guess it is a RC OSC, right?
2. What freq precision difference between the different date/patch produced LT8390 with the same RT resistor?
3. What freq precision difference between 200K and 180K RT resistors?
Many thanks.
Best,
Tony Liu

Attachments

• 8390.JPG
    8390.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
  • LT8390f.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

I would not rely on the internal oscillator of a switched mode power supply IC for any degree of precision, they are not designed for it.
Look at page 5 of the data sheet under Oscillator for some indication of frequency accuracy, 400kHz +/-20kHz for a 100k resistor.
If you need the switching frequency to be stable, synchronise it with a known external source.

I want to use 180K and 200K resistors for two LT8390 ICs in the same module.
I hope that the two switching freqs are not overlap by 180K and 200K.
But I am not sure about it. That is what I worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

From the table, for 180K, estimated switching freq1 is 250K, with 5% tolerance, i.e. 237K-263K.
For 200K, switching freq2 is 225K, with 5% tolerance, i.e. 212K-238K.
So the swicthing freqs may overlap.

Clear specification, +/- 5% accuracy. If that's not sufficient, sync with external reference.

- - - Updated - - -

Clear specification, +/- 5% accuracy. If that's not sufficient, sync with external reference.

So the swicthing freqs may overlap.
Yes. Typically you can expect better accuracy, but you can't rely on it.

Hi,

I want to use 180K and 200K resistors for two LT8390 ICs in the same module.
I hope that the two switching freqs are not overlap by 180K and 200K.

Call me pessimistic, but I´d say there is a good chance that both oscillators lock.

Klaus

Oscillator frequency can be synchronized by an external oscillator so multiple IC can be fed from a single source.Page 18

Oscillator frequency can be synchronized by an external oscillator so multiple IC can be fed from a single source.Page 18
But if multiple ICs be fed from a single source, the switching freqs should be same, that can increase the risk for spurs or desense, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back