Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ignition Transformer Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravkothari23

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.
i need to make a Ignition transformer with input voltage of 220V AC and output voltage at 15KV.
can anybody help me in some ideas of how can i make this. i have gone through some documentation and got some ideas but need a clear ideas about it and i am also sharing some point on how to make this type of ignition transformer.
initially 220V AC is converted to 220 DC and then it is converted to 12VDC using ferrite core transformer. later this same 12V DC is again converted to AC to boost the voltage at 15KV level. but to boost the voltage to 15KV, are ferrite core transformer used or flyback transformer. which one is reliable. do i need to convert this 15KV to DC again or AC voltage can even generate sparks.

15 KV will be extremely dangerous very careful.

guess output current 5mA
So Output power will be 75W
Input power will be 75/80% = 93W
Transformer power 100W
Operating frequency 50KHz (IC sg3525)
Core Ferite UR48 with air gap
Turns ratio, 1:150
(design the transformer in a way so it limits the voltage to a safe level by itself by means of core saturation)
Minimum primary inductance 12uH
Minimum secondary inductance 220mH
Use one isolation transformer from 230VAC mains to 12V(150VA minimum) connect to flyback circuit

ferrite core transformer used or flyback transformer. which one is reliable.
standard fly back is reliable
do i need to convert this 15KV to DC again or AC voltage can even generate spark
No need 15KV Ac can make much better sparks.

Hope this post will help you!!!!

Hi,

Be carefull. Don´t kill yourself.

I find your circuit too complicated.

Why not: 220V AC --> 310V DC --> current mode PWM controller --> flyback transformer with voltage clamp on primary side (voltage feedback to DC supply capacitor)

Klaus

You could even design the transformer, but you could not assemble it unless having proper tools/machinery. Such devices when dealing from few above kilovolts must undergo a post-winding process of vacuum-suction lacquer injection in order to increase the breakdown voltage between the wire windings from something higher than the air gap .

An automotive ignition coil does not work on the principle of a transformer as such... the turns ratio is only 100 to 1, so 10 volts ac in gives roughly 1KVolt out (usually much less).

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.