Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can a TVS diode help me to properly turn off an AC 110/120 Relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonio.diaz

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have an AC Relay that is going to be turned on/turned off with a switch.

The thing is that when I want to turn off the relay (opening the switch), it still wants to be activated, I mean, the relay is not turned off properly and emits an evil sound haha (the contact of the relay is being opened and closed continuosly).
I know that this happens because some amount of energy is still stored in the relay coil. When I use a DC Relay, a freewheeling diode helps me, but I do not know what to use with an AC Relay (I saw an article that shows the TVS diode as an option with AC Relays, but I'm not sure if it can help me).

So, the question is: do you know how can I properly turn off an AC Relay? :(

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Regards,

Antonio Diaz.

Hi,

The thing is that when I want to turn off the relay (opening the switch), it still wants to be activated, I mean, the relay is not turned off properly and emits an evil sound haha (the contact of the relay is being opened and closed continuosly).
The only reason for such a behaviour is an unsuitable switch (voltage rating).

If the switch is OPEN, then the relay will release without chattering.

Diode:
Any inductive load (relay coil) wil generate a high voltage peak when switched OFF.
For DC coils you may prevent this (harmful) high voltage with a diode.
For AC coils you may use a TVS.
But none of both is responsible for chattering sound.

Klaus

Hello Klaus,
Thank you for your help, I will consider that.

Maybe the question I should have made is: How can I discharge the energy that remains stored in the AC Relay coil when I want it to be turned off?
Somebody, please? :'(

Thank you!
Regards,
Antonio Diaz.

Hi,

Maybe the question I should have made is: How can I discharge the energy that remains stored in the AC Relay coil when I want it to be turned off?
Somebody, please? :'(

Fastest: Just by switching the line OFF. No diode, no capacitor, no extra circuit.

Klaus

Antonio, first things first:
How are you driving the relay coil? With a Triac? With an optocoupler?
Show us please.

If you are driving it with a Triac, specially a sensitive gate one, the may be retriggered by an inductive load's di/dt.

The usual cure is to employ a snubber circuit across the Triac.

But again....we are ONLY speculating if you don't show the complete details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back