Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino programming from a Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamech

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

I want to update the sketch inside arduino (Uno or Pro Mini) from the wifi (ESP-12 Module) connected to its tx and rx. I watched several videos but I found details are complex. Can any one have an ordered and clear steps (or materials) about how to do this?

thanks

Although the question is somewhat open ended, it is not even necessary to perform any search on the internet to conclude that the solution to this would be to program a firmware on the side of the ESP8266 (preferably programmed as CPU) capable of forwarding the data received by the wireless network and mirror them to a serial TX output of the module itself. At least it is the first thing that comes to mind.

May be I had to explain more. Actually I have already an arduino circuit that interact with metering IC, and I want to have the ability to update the arduino code when I need to do so, but using Wifi module. I do not know how arduino call its bootloader and put it in "Waiting for New Code" state, also I do not know how wifi will know that it is the time now to give the arduino boot loader the new code.. may be there are many things that I do not understand in such process, so that may be what I say seems illogical. but for this reason I am here asking for help

I was referring to download some serial bootloader sketch to the Arduino ( e.g STK500 ) and to use the ESP8266 as an standalone CPU to get the commands remotelly and foward it to the UNO board by using its serial output.

I understand. but I need a solution that all of it within arduino sketch, without need to program another CPU of the wifi

I was referring to download some serial bootloader sketch to the Arduino ( e.g STK500 ) and to use the ESP8266 as an standalone CPU to get the commands remotelly and foward it to the UNO board by using its serial output.

After some search, I began to be convinced that your way may be easier, o at least it is more straight forward to me. But what cripples me now, is the nature of these commands that will be sent from wifi CPU.
1- Those commands will be sent in binary bytes form (logically they will not be ascii)?
2- Are there any reference for knowing how the process of programming happens? (how starts talking first, is the bootloader the one who tell the sender to wait until it can write in memory, etc...)
3- If I choose to talk to bootloader in STK500 protocol, how the boot loader will know that I am talking in STK500? (as far as I know the bootloader supports several protocols in programming, isn't it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.