Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RJ45 LAN with Transformer Vs RJ45 LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends!!

Some manufacturers like WE offers these two types of RJ45 connectors:

- RJ45 LAN with transformer
- RJ45 LAN with NO transformer.

I am wondering about why to use a transformer in a RJ45? What is the reason?

Thanks in advance!

Transformers are required by all popular 10, 100 and 1000 Mbit/s ethernet specifications working with RJ45 cable. If the transformer isn't built into the connector, a separate transformer is used.

As stated - sometimes you may want to use a separate transformer in your design. One example if this is you may be designing a cable tester and need to switch the connections on the RJ45 between some test interface circuits and a normal Ethernet LAN transformer coupled connection.

But my question is specifically if the RJ45 comes with a transformer embedded, I will need to use the Ethernet PHY transceiver like the ones provided by Marvel or Alaska? Or the embedded transformer has also this functionality? Thanks!

But my question is specifically if the RJ45 comes with a transformer embedded, I will need to use the Ethernet PHY transceiver like the ones provided by Marvel or Alaska? Or the embedded transformer has also this functionality? Thanks!

!? 8-O

Look at the picture on this website for a RJ45 with transformer:
https://www.rj45transformer.com/sale-1064370-2-1-double-port-tab-down-rj45-transformer-for-10-100-1000base-t-tx-10-pin-rj45-connector-magnetic-rj.html

Do you see the equivalent of a Marvel or Alaska PHY IC? no, all you see is Ethernet connections with a transformer in the path between one side of pins to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.