Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

matrix array from instantiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizdom

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys. I just want to ask how am I gonna do a 2x2 matrix array in a separate VHDL entity block wherein the data of each cell are coming from a separate VHDL entity block instantiated twice? It's like I have a code for a header data then I instantiated the whole entity block twice then from a separate entity block, I'd like to make a matrix array of the data from the two instantiations. Any help?

Connect individual array elements in port maps is most simple, you can also use auxiliary signals to copy the data.

Connect individual array elements in port maps is most simple, you can also use auxiliary signals to copy the data.

What if I have 2 instantiations then both has PORT_ASSIGNMENT which is an array of integer and I want to use these two sets of arrays? How can I do that? Like I have PORT_ASSIGNMENT from Instantiation 1 then I have another PORT_ASSIGNMENT from Instantiation 2. Then I want to place these values in one array (in a separate entity block).

then you will need to build a mux and have some way of determining which one gets picked at any given time

then you will need to build a mux and have some way of determining which one gets picked at any given time

But they have to be picked up at the same time and assigned in an array at the same time. Isn't it possible?

are you talking about just assigbning them to a larger array, or both arrays to the same signal

I just need to assign them to a larger array but they have the same signal name. is there a way I can assign them a different name?

The ports have the same name, but you will be connecting them to a local signal declared in the entity where they are being instantiated. So you can connect each component to half of an array.

eg:

Code:
signal some_local_signal : array(0 to 7);

... instantiation 1
my_output => array(0 to 3),

... instantiation 2
my_output => array(4 to 7),

Reactions: nizdom

nizdom

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.