Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode connected transistor as voltage clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sys_eng

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On the first one, it's pretty consistent that a nmos diode connected transistor has drop of 1V across VDS of M13, M12
drop1.png

However, on the second one. VDS of M41 is only 51.87mV, I am expecting 1V. VDS of M40 is 2.3V and I am expecting 1V.
drop2.png

How come there are differences of two pictures showing diode connected transistor has different VDS across.
why?

The second schematic snippet is useless because it doesn't show which current is injected to individual transistors.

We can just assume that some diode connected transistors get about no current and thus have low voltage drop.

How come there are differences of two pictures showing diode connected transistor has different VDS across. why?

The diode-connected Vds depends on Ids of the transistor - as suggested above -, s. the foll. sample simulation:

For bigger Ids currents, the diode-connected Vds more and more approaches the SPICE-calculated saturation voltage Vdsat.

The diode-connected Vds depends on Ids of the transistor - as suggested above -, s. the foll. sample simulation:

For bigger Ids currents, the diode-connected Vds more and more approaches the SPICE-calculated saturation voltage Vdsat.

vds depends on Ids?
Most textbook shows Ids depends on vds instead. The other way around.
IvsV_mosfet.png

Surely, it's just the difference of been constant voltage versus constant current driven.

I am not sure if I understand that statement.
I have never seen that graph Ids on x axis and vds on y axis on any text book.

Status
Not open for further replies.