Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mutual Inductance of two conducting rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

shb264

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I have two conducting circular coils (1 turn each). These coils are made of square wire of 1x1mm and have radius of 10mm each. the radii of both the coils is same. material is copper. One coil is placed on top of other one with a gap of 1mm between them so that the centers of both the coils are on the same axis. i want to calculate the mutual inductance of these coils if the current is same. What will be the total inductance of these two coils (will it be sum of self inductance of two coils and mutual inductance)? What will be the effect on overall inductance if increase the distance between the coils from 1mm to 5mm and 10mm? The overall inductance will decrease??

Need help to understand the situation and need some analytical formula to calculate the overall inductance of both the coils. Thanks.

How can anyone answer your questions when you haven't told us what you mean by "total inductance"? Or by "overall inductance"?

Will the two coils be connected in series and then that connection's inductance be the "total inductance"? Will the series connection be series aiding or series opposing? Perhaps the coils will be connected in parallel, and in that case there are also two ways to make the connection.

Or do you have something else in mind for the "total inductance"?

The case of the mutual inductance of two coaxial loops is one of the few for which an exact analytical solution exists: **broken link removed**

This book also discusses the case: http://www.amazon.com/Inductance-Ca...33310&sr=1-1&keywords=inductance+calculations

Thank you Electrician for replying my querry. I will look into both of the links. My question is simple. Effect of gap between two 1 turn inductors of same radius placed on a common axis.

Thanks again for reply.

Also frequency will come into play.
Like a transmission line the 2nd inductor will rotate in and out of phase with each 1/4 wave.

Also frequency will come into play.
Like a transmission line the 2nd inductor will rotate in and out of phase with each 1/4 wave.

Thank you Robert. Can we model them using transmission line models, for example what will be the situation when these two rings placed in the position as discussed above are excited at 1 GHz????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back