Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SA612AN input output impedance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I design an HF oscillator (2-30MHz) by mixing a switched crystal oscillator (max 32MHz) with a 4MHz ceramic resonator VXO, into an SA612AN. This oscillator, will be followed by a second SA612AN, operating as a DSB modulator.

I am taking the signal out of pin 4 and I would like to design a LPF for each band in HF following pin 4 of the first chip and feeding pin 6 of the second chip.

But what is the impedance in pin 4 so I can design the input of the filter correctly?
Also, what is the impedance on pin 6 so I can design the output of the filter correctly?

Pin 6 seems oscillator PIN, how you would use it as an input ? SA612A.PNG

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you drive this PIN for an external oscillator, the input impedance is too high.
BetaX25*10E3..
Don't worry about the matching because even you have a small signal level the buffer included in the OC will drive the Mixer core hard.

neazoi

If you drive this PIN for an external oscillator, the input impedance is too high.
BetaX25*10E3..
Don't worry about the matching because even you have a small signal level the buffer included in the OC will drive the Mixer core hard.

I have already designed my filters for 50R impedance, but the simulation shows a much different response on say 1K and even on 300R. I could include resistive impedance matching pi networks at inputs and outputs of the filter to 50R, but I need to have an estimation of the impedance of the sa612an to be able to match correctly. Attenuation of these networks wouldn't matter too much as the whole thing is used as a local oscillator and balanced modulator, so the signal levels are higher.

I have already designed my filters for 50R impedance, but the simulation shows a much different response on say 1K and even on 300R. I could include resistive impedance matching pi networks at inputs and outputs of the filter to 50R, but I need to have an estimation of the impedance of the sa612an to be able to match correctly. Attenuation of these networks wouldn't matter too much as the whole thing is used as a local oscillator and balanced modulator, so the signal levels are higher.
If your filter needs an impedance around 50 Ohm, insert a simple BJT Emitter Follower with a small RE resistance ( Common Collector config) between filter and PIN6 to make the filter sees always 50 Ohm.

neazoi

If your filter needs an impedance around 50 Ohm, insert a simple BJT Emitter Follower with a small RE resistance ( Common Collector config) between filter and PIN6 to make the filter sees always 50 Ohm.

I tend to avoid active matching, because the non-linearities of the transistor amplifier will introduce harmonics in the already harmonic-rich mixer circuit... It is not pbvious if these are in frequencies that can be filtered by the post filter.

You said that the input impedance in pin 6 is very high, do you have an estimation?
Also, is the impedance at pin 4 near 1.5K? (collector resistor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back