Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

are microcontroller two pins connected internally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimkess

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried to soldered a microcontroller but then I am getting continuity between two pins connected to port headers. Is it that they are connected internally or is it that there is fault in my soldering?

Hi,

I looked into random microcontroller datasheets.
Some have internally connected pins, on other datasheets I didn't find such information.

Without more detailed information from you I have to say: maybe.

Klaus

hi j,
How are you measuring the suspected short.?
E

i am working with PIC32 micro. I tested with typical continuity tester, between pins to headers, between pins and between headers connection, same results.

first on one side, i noticed this after soldering and checking each pin(my first time so...). I looked with magnifying glass into the pins for any sign of shorts, nothing I could see. I re-soldered the specific pins, same result. Then I left this side and went on to the another side and I noticed that there is again continuity between two pins and same for their headers. This side had continuity between pins that are far apart.

While the other two remaining sides have no continuity.

micro-controller pro should know this kind of thing I suspect.

Last edited:

Some pins are connected internally on some PIC32 micros.

The datasheet for your PIC 32 will tell you which ones

I tested with typical continuity tester

big clue there.... if you apply more than about 0.5V across the tester probes it will force current through internal pin protection circuits.
What kind of continuity tester is it?

And yes, devices with more than one VSS or VDD pin will have them internally linked but in almost every other case they should not be linked.

Brian.

it is uni-t pocket digital multimeter.

"uni-t" is the manufacturer (UNI-Trends), what model is it? They make several different multimeters and without knowing which model I can't see what voltage it applies across the test probes.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.