Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking help for PC port programming to activate port

Status
Not open for further replies.

vead

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

In computing, Port is use to communicate with other peripherals such as monitor, webcam, speakers...etc. Many PCs are equipped with serial ports and parallel port. I want to know how does PC send data to their ports. I have searched some link but I am having problem to understand basic of port communication. so that's why I am making this example just for learning .

suppose I have application on my window desktop there is only one but when I click on that button the data will sent to port of my computer. so I want create that type of application that will transmit binary data to port of my PC. I googled " serial port communication" I found many links there are the many tools and programming language that can be create application software that can be send data to port of PC. I need suggestion which tool and language I need to select so that I can create application that will send data to my PC' Port?

Thank you very much

Re: looking help for PC port programming to activate port

sir, previously in windows xp, there was a serial communication dail up application was present. HyperTerminal, and I think all the digital data are in binary. you can use RS232 protocol and you can also download HyperTerminal for 64bit for internet. You may require a DB9 to USB converter also. and you can communicate.

Hi;
I can recommend Qt for the purpose, it is cross platform (some may prefer Visual studio for Windows platform).
Have a look at links;
QT
C
Visual Studio
Hope helps

Many PCs are equipped with serial ports and parallel port. I want to know how does PC send data to their ports. I have searched some link but I am having problem to understand basic of port communication.

I would rectify as "they were equipped". I feel myself elderly when I come across people from the electronics area who no longer have contact with serial port and its associated tools. In the past this was one of the first steps to make the desktop interfacing with peripheral devices, and now chipset for it do not come built in mainboard PC's anymore (in fact, even the Hyperterminal tool is no longer integrated with the Windows package). I would recommend you first take a deep look on how UART for microcontrollers works, how TTL/RS-232 level conversion is made, and just after that, take a search on PC side.

I want to do following task
Task 1 : I want PC to send data to their serial port
Task 2 : I want MCU to take data from PC

Task 1: I need following things
Tool - visual studio
language - ASP.NET

Task 2: I need following things
Tool - keil
language - c programming (uart protocols)

Is it enough to complete tasks?

You can either use generic Windows API functions to access the serial port or specific communication libraries provided by the compiler.

As far as I know ASP.NET isn't a programing language. You'll use one of the basic programming languages supported by Visual Studio, e.g. C++, C#.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back