Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Electronic Fuses instead of Mechanical Fuses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing a circuit which may be used in hazardous area which needs ATEX certification. there are some mechanical fuses which are almost expensive for usage inside the circuit, my board needs 2 fuses, one about 100mA and one about 3A for GSM.
As ATEX certified fuses are expensive, about 4USD each, i thought of using Electronic Fuses instead of them, chips like ST STEF033 and other similar chips from TI or ...
Do you see any problem in this plan ? i think electronic fuses can be better even ...

Thanks & Regards,
Hooman Falahati.

Forget about it. Semiconductors are simply not considered reliable in the ATEX world.

I fully agree with the previus answer; in atex word the rules are very strict due the thinking and experience made.
Do not try to overtake the rules, you have no chance to pass the test.
I.E. if a circuit is hort circuited, only the fuse guarantees that it will open.
Do you will rely an alectronc circuit being surrounded by an explosive mixture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back