Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a VPN work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian403

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How does a VPN works

Related VPN. There are on the internet a lot of routers which deliver the data package from a source to a destination. There are rotuers' protocols like rip which create a "package's path" and depending the traffic a data (like a video which it's discretizade in package) can goes through differents path and in the destination is get together in order.

A VPN create an unike path on internet (and when I say internet is not the LAN) either that the package takes difference path depending the traffic. Thats' correct?

But it's not more secure that the packages takes difference path so, it's no possible that a man in the middle get the entires data?

Re: How does a VPN works

VPN is a Virtual Private Network. It does nothing with the path via Internet routers. VPN packets may be send the same route as usual packets.
The point of VPN is to create a secure and convenient connection over global networks using data (useful data) encryption, so it is more secure compared to plain packets due to cryptography, but not routing.

Ok thanks. But there is the possibility to have a VPN in a ISP network with MPLS protocol. For example I work in remote way and I have to use Pulse Secure and I think that the only thing that this aplication do it's encryptation. How it is?

VPN is not a particular protocol, but rather an abstract description. VPN may be point-point, point-network, network-network. Particular implementations of VPN include PPTP, PPPoE, IPSec, L2TP etc. MPLS is more complex method, and it is used to create VPN. I'm not so familiar with it, so I cannot tell details. But anyway, any VPN network uses some kind of encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.