Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifier Load in PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbb1612

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed an RF rectifier and I found that a 10k load increase the efficiency for my design.

In the PCB, do I have to put this 10k Resistor? or just conect to the rest of my circuit?

Hope you can helpe me!

Hi,

The only value you give is "10k".
No circuit, no part values, no frequency....no chance to answer.

Even "10k" isn't enough information.
It could be a thick film in 0603 case...or it could be a wire wound 3W resistor, that acts more like an inductance above some frequency.

Klaus

Unlikely that adding a load resistor increases the useable efficiency. I rather guess that you did the calculation wrong. I presume the purpose of the rectifier is to deliver power to an external load, not to burn the RF input it in a resistor.

Obviously, a schematic is required to make the problem understandable.

RECT.png

Thank You both.

Here I attach the Schematic.

The output of the rectifier it's conected to a boost and storage stage.
The PCB is FR4. And the project is for Energy Harvesting.

I'll apreciate any help.

Efficieny is dependent on both voltage and current.

What output voltage do you get for Rload=10kohm ?

Thanks, that make absolute sense. Off coruse, I dont need to put the resistor in the PCB, I'll waste all the energy...

The rectifier supply a boost stage, a MCU and finaly a RF Transmiter.

Can I asume the modeled load is equal to the actual load?

If the circuit is intended to model energy harvesting, RL is a substitute for actual load supplied by the rectifier. You can either select a RL value that corresponds to the intended actual load, or vary the value to evaluate the matching.

Burning all RF power in a load resistor is obviously not the purpose of energy harvesting. Which actual load will be supplied by the rectifier?

- - - Updated - - -

Good question. You should have a specification about the final application voltage and current requirements. Unfortunately it's not guaranteed that your circuit can supply sufficient power to the application.

- - - Updated - - -

Good question. You should have a specification about the final application voltage and current requirements. Unfortunately it's not guaranteed that your circuit can supply sufficient power to the application.

Silly question here: Can you explain me how to conect the output of the rectifier?

I'm so confussed, because whit this design I got an output current over the load, but how do I conect that to the next stage?
I understand Vout would be in the out of D4, but the out of D3 would be the ground for the next stage?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.