Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-bit multiplier without using packages in vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majid_Vatan_Parast

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello every body

I need VHDL code for 8-bit unsigned multiplier , but I am not allowed to use std_logic_unsigned/signed package . I am just allowed to use logical gates .it is urgent .Can any one help me ?

Thanks

Hello every body

I need VHDL code for 8-bit unsigned multiplier , but I am not allowed to use std_logic_unsigned/signed package . I am just allowed to use logical gates .it is urgent .Can any one help me ?

Thanks

Why, is it because you want someone else to do your homework for you? Can't see any other reason someone would want to design a multiplier with logic gates instead of the traditional way with * or with a IP multiplier.

Did you ever think that maybe the instructor wants to see if you know the material and not that you can get the answer from someone who does know the material?

- - - Updated - - -

It's obvious you haven't done even a basic search....
"gate level unsigned multiplier" in google produces a plethora of results, with some actual circuits.

Firstly , we are here to help others . If we do not help them , we can be silent , and leave no comment.

Secondly , I know the traditional way of multiplying , it is just one line of code ; But as I mentioned I am not allowed ti use package.

Thirdly , I know the material , I have implemented several operators without using package , and have done a lot of search . Every body prefers to choose easy way , and use '*' operator , like you.

Fourthly , unsigned multiplying is a trivial part of a bigger project . I have 5 more projects , I have to work on them ,and do not have enough time .

"*" is not just the easy way, but also the most compatible way. Building your own multiplier is unlikely to be the most efficient implementation (and unlikely to use the built in multipliers). Apart from learning basic logic design, it won't help you in the real world. The only time this ever gets done is as an exercise at university.

So why don't you have time? Did you not start soon enough? There are plenty of examples out there. Wikipedia even has links to different multiplication methods

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_multiplier

Majid_Vatan_Parast said:
Firstly , we are here to help others . If we do not help them , we can be silent , and leave no comment.
I did help you by supplying a search string to find gate designs for a multiplier.

do you think I missed that the first time? better reread my post.

Thirdly , I know the material
I am not entirely convinced you do, if you did you would have coded it yourself by now. It's not hard to write a gate level multiplier, just tedious. Have you tried using a synthesis tool like XST, Vivado, Quartus to build a gate level netlist of a multiplier using the standard "*" and disabling the inference of DSP blocks?

Fourthly , unsigned multiplying is a trivial part of a bigger project . I have 5 more projects , I have to work on them ,and do not have enough time.
Ditto what Trickyicky stated...Did you not start soon enough? Maybe your real problem is with your time management skills, out in the real world this is a regular occurrence. Too many projects and too little time to deliver...get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.