Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energy Spectral Density

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persmerga

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I plot the energy Spectral density of a Linear Chirp using Chirp function?

This is the code I used for the linear Chirp:
Using chirp Function:
t = 0:1/1e3:2;
y = chirp(t,0,1,250);

I'm not familiar with the term energy spectral density, you're probably referring to power spectral density. In your case, it is probably sufficient to estimate the PSD using the DFT. Your chirp in the frequency domain is Y = fft(y). Then to get the PSD, P = abs(Y.^2). Now, you've got to be careful. When we take the DFT using MATLAB, it uses the formula:

Y(k) = sum (from j = 1 to n) X(j)Wn^(j-1)(k-1) (where Wn = e^(-2*pi*i/n) )

(all according to the documentation page)

the frequency of the complex exponential is 'proportional' to k. In reality, the frequency that we know reaches a maximum when k = n/2 + 1 because that is the highest frequency discrete signal (The signal we are mixing is exp(2*pi*i*n/2*j/n) = exp(pi*i*j) = (-1)^j. In visualization, we are used to putting the highest frequency toward the right and the lowest at the middle, but in this case we have the lowest at the left and the highest in the middle. To fix this, use P_shifted = fftshift(P) and then display that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back