Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PT300 Temperature Sensor Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjtpower

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends

I am planning to develop a circuit of Temperature Sensor with PT100-3Wire

i understand that it need a constant current source so we can measure very precise change in Temperature.

Now 2 mA of current Source i will to make and pass it through the Temperature Sensor..

I dont know how to generate 2 mA of current source.

Kindly help me out

Regards
Marx

Linear, Analog Devices, and other have several app notes on the best practices for a PT sensor.

But the sensor being resistive, I would think that a Wheatstone bridge configuration followed by an amplifier with very good CMRR would be the proper solution.

Re: Pt100 Temperature Sensor Interfacing

Advantage of constant current source is having linear R-to-V characteristic. In can be easily combined with 3- or 4-wire circuit to compensate cable resistance influence. As said, there are tons of application circuits available.

If no cable compensation is required (2-wire circuit), a simple voltage divider with an accurate reference resistor gives good results.

I would stay with a 3-wire measurement if you want to measure precise temperatures.

Over what temperature range do you need to measure?

I am having 3 wire PT300..

Want to measure a temperature from 0 degree to 200 degrees

I seen the application somewhere telling that passing a constant current would give us the better result.

In whetstone bridge, where i can connect 3rd wire..??

Whetstone bridge is good for the 2 wire PT100..

Here's an article on a precision current source that may be helpful.

To what accuracy do you want to measure the temperature?

Last edited:

Typing in "pt100 3-wire circuit" at Google gives many hits, e.g. TI application notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.