Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving 10A load on pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working in an project in that I need to drive an motor using relay.The motor will take 10A current...I designed the PCB track with 2.5MM track for common and normally opened points to relay.During running time any damage will occur in pcb due to this much current by motor..?

I searched in google.But it showing lot of calculating methods and documents related to this topic.
Should we read "but" as you want to be spoon feed with the result instead of learning yourself?

Should we read "but" as you want to be spoon feed with the result instead of learning yourself?

You no need to spoon feed me....
i'm beginner to this...I dono which method i have to use...
If you are not willing to help means no need to reply my questions.

From your point you may feed me with spoon because a child dono how to eat at beginning .If the child learned how to eat it means,it will teach to you.

Last edited:

Hi,

What answer do you expect?

Maybe you expect a reply "2.5mm is fine"
But the PCB still will fail.

Maybe you expect a reply "5.0mm is fine"
You change the PCB layout, but maybe the PCB fails again. What do you gain?

I recommend to look for a good documentation. It may be hard to read, but it explains the details. Details that you don´t see now.
"xx mm trace width" seems to be a simple answer. But there are a lot of parameters to consider.

Some of them are:
* copper thickness
* trace length
* outer layer, inner layer
* coating
* current waveform
* PCB material
* ambient temperature
* additional sources of heat
* heat preading
* air pressure
* regional (country) safety regulations.

Beacuse of the complexity of the heating problem, there are many documents/tables/calculators. Some are more detailed than others. Some are focussed on the PCB material, some are focussed on heat spreading.

But in the end.... if you feed the formulas with YOUR parameters..I think most of them will give about the same result.

Did you try this?

Klaus

Hi,

What answer do you expect?

Maybe you expect a reply "2.5mm is fine"
But the PCB still will fail.

Maybe you expect a reply "5.0mm is fine"
You change the PCB layout, but maybe the PCB fails again. What do you gain?

I recommend to look for a good documentation. It may be hard to read, but it explains the details. Details that you don´t see now.
"xx mm trace width" seems to be a simple answer. But there are a lot of parameters to consider.

Some of them are:
* copper thickness
* trace length
* outer layer, inner layer
* coating
* current waveform
* PCB material
* ambient temperature
* additional sources of heat
* heat preading
* air pressure
* regional (country) safety regulations.

Beacuse of the complexity of the heating problem, there are many documents/tables/calculators. Some are more detailed than others. Some are focussed on the PCB material, some are focussed on heat spreading.

But in the end.... if you feed the formulas with YOUR parameters..I think most of them will give about the same result.

Did you try this?

Klaus

Hai,
Yes the board will damage due to heat because the manufacturer providing only 3mm thickness epoxy glass sheet.

I noted in some UPS boards in that for linking two or more TRIAC they used an copper wire which soldered on linking tracks.
Is this method is correct or it also will damage the pcb.

Yes the board will damage due to heat because the manufacturer providing only 3mm thickness epoxy glass sheet.
Trace current capability has little to do with PCB thickness, it's about trace width and copper plating thickness (1 oz is standard, power boards are often using 2 oz with doubled current rating).

I noted in some UPS boards in that for linking two or more TRIAC they used an copper wire which soldered on linking tracks.
Is this method is correct or it also will damage the pcb.
It's an option if you didn't manage to design a correct PCB from the start. Providing additional bus bars (soldered or screwed) may be even considered state-of-the-art for very high currents.

Use the Saturn Toolkit, it uses the more accurate IPC-2152 standard for current calculation...
https://www.saturnpcb.com/pcb_toolkit.htm

Also look at some recent issues of Printed Circuit Design and Fabrication, a series of articles on current capacity and fusing currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back