Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fundamentals in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_an

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to verilog. Could you please explain what is the meaning of initial P = {(40-1){1'b0}};
Next, what is the functionality of clock buffer and clock gate?!

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to verilog. Could you please explain what is the meaning of initial P = {(40-1){1'b0}};
Next, what is the functionality of clock buffer and clock gate?!

Thanks

initial is a procedure that is executed at time 0 and never executed again. In this case it assigns the 39-bit P a value of all 0's

Clock buffer and clock gate don't have anything to do with Verilog.

A clock buffer is exactly that a buffer for a clock, i.e. a clock driver that can handle the large amount of capacitive load on the clock tree. A clock gate is a gate in the path of the clock to enable disable the clock usually to reduce power consumption. Unless you use the dedicated clock mux in an FPGA (by instantiating it) it is really a bad idea to use gated clocks in an FPGA design and if you do instantiate this clock mux you better be sure you know how to write the timing constraints correctly..

Reactions: bit_an

bit_an

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back