Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Voltus power analysis of a macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenambo

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a whole design of a testchip where the analog part is imported as Macro. I can easily do power analysis for the digital part except Macro in VOLTUS. So how to do power analysis for the whole chip including the macro by using VOLTUS?

I can generate power grid library for the testchip except macro. When I try to generate power grid library for the Macro it need some input files. One of the input file is spice subcircuit file . Is that same as extracted spice netlist ?

Please clarify the above things

Thanks.

You need to do characterization of the macro and use a .lib file, just like you do for standard cells.

Hi Sam,

Yeah that's right. My doubt is the spice subcircuit file which is needed to generate power grid library.. Is it extracted spice neltlist or not?
And how voltus extracts power grid from the macro?

Thanks

Hi Sam,

Yeah that's right. My doubt is the spice subcircuit file which is needed to generate power grid library.. Is it extracted spice neltlist or not?
And how voltus extracts power grid from the macro?

Thanks

Voltus doesn't perform characterization, you are mixing up concepts. You need a tool like silicon smart or liberate to generate a .lib for you, this .lib is then fed to voltus/innovus.

Hi Sam,

I ahve timimg lib file for that macro. I am asking for the spice subcircuit file. Is it layout extracted or not?

Hi Sam,

I ahve timimg lib file for that macro. I am asking for the spice subcircuit file. Is it layout extracted or not?

Is this for IR drop? No need for extracted if you guardband enough.

Hi ,

Yeah This is for IR drop. And I am facing some problem while doing power analysis for the analog block using voltus. I have read in cadence documentation website that, Voltus-Fi is used for analog circuit's EM/IR analysis. IS that mean, we can't do IR analysis for analog macro in Voltus? In that documentation they mentioned, PGV is generated from Voltus-Fi and exported into Voltus for IP level analysis.

Can you please clarify on this? and Anyone ever tried to do IR analysis on Voltus for an analog block?
Thanks.

Read the documentation carefully. You can do IR/EM analysis of anything in Voltus, as long as the macros have been characterized enough to do so. You need the PGV files to come from someone/somewhere. For standard cells, they are usually shipped together. For your own macros, you need some sort of spice-level analysis like Voltus-Fi is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back