Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Meaning of 'Macro depth'

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuit.maker

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
While reading floorplan guidelines from Innovus User Guide, I came across the following:

"Assess different floorplan styles such as hard macro placement in periphery, island, or doughnut (periphery and island). Keep the macro depth at 1 to 2 for best CTS, optimization, and Design-for-test (DFT) results. If possible, consider different aspect ratios to accommodate a shallower macro depth."

What is meant by 'macro depth' in the above paragraph?

While reading floorplan guidelines from Innovus User Guide, I came across the following:

"Assess different floorplan styles such as hard macro placement in periphery, island, or doughnut (periphery and island). Keep the macro depth at 1 to 2 for best CTS, optimization, and Design-for-test (DFT) results. If possible, consider different aspect ratios to accommodate a shallower macro depth."

What is meant by 'macro depth' in the above paragraph?

If you have something like LOGIC MACRO LOGIC, depth is 1.
If you have something like LOGIC MACRO MACRO LOGIC, depth is 1.
If you have something like EDGE MACRO MACRO LOGIC, depth is 2.

It's just the number of macros that the router will have to go through before reaching the macro farthest away from standard cells.

I don't think I understand. Let's assume I have a squarish floorplan and all my macros are arranged on the periphery and the standard cells are concentrated in the center part. On one side of periphery I have some macros stacked by each other. Is it the distance from the standard cell core to each individual macro in the stack, the 'macro depth'? I've attached an illustration for the same.

macro_depth.png

I don't think I understand. Let's assume I have a squarish floorplan and all my macros are arranged on the periphery and the standard cells are concentrated in the center part. On one side of periphery I have some macros stacked by each other. Is it the distance from the standard cell core to each individual macro in the stack, the 'macro depth'? I've attached an illustration for the same.

View attachment 139242

Yes, that's correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back