Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PHY Ethernet, best way to connect the PHY to a SoC Zynq..

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello folks!!

I am wondering aobut how to implement SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4 according to the block diagram attached.

This is an industrial product and I would like to connect PHY1 and PHY2 to the PS in some applications and to the PL in other ones. The question here is which is the best way to do this implementation according to:

1) Simplicity: It should be as simple as possible. No external control lines should be used to swithc between PS and PL
2) Reliability
3) Manufacturality:
3) Price: it should be as cheap as possible.

I have been thinking to use 0 Ohm resistors to switch between PS and PL according to the application. On that way I can give two bill of materials to the board manufacturer and it can mount or not mount the resistors depends on the BoM. But how reliable is this? I mean, Could I have some issues on the digital signals due to some delay or whatever?

Thanks in advance.
ProfinetVsEthernet.jpg

you would likely see more delay variation due to the trace lengths than the 0 ohm resistors. stuffing variations to make a product work differently are pretty common in products I've worked with in the past.

Just make sure the numbers associated with the two different BoMs are different so they know they are producing one product or the other. I vaguely recall we had a BoM part number with a variation on the end such as -1 or -2 and we could specify an order with either the -1 or -2 suffix. The variations had something similar to what you have a stuffing difference along with a part difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.