Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA board for substituting microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endre

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'd like an FPGA board which is a good platform for 32bit SoftCore microcontrollers.
Some of the key points:
- real USB connection (not USB to serial) with on-board connector, free IP and firmware is available for creating custom USB protocols (EndPoint managament, packet based communication, etc., similar to XMOS's USB lib)
- can be programmed over USB (both the FPGA and the SoftCore's code flash) with on-board connector
- powering over USB is an advantage
- 2 piece of external SRAM with 32 bit data bus and at least 16bit address bus: one is for tightly attached data memory of the SoftCore CPU, the other one is for shared memory (arbitrated among more bus masters, like SoftCore CPU, and custom logic)
- 1 parallel flash with 32 bit data bus and at least 16bit address bus, it would be the tightly attached code memory of the SoftCore CPU
- just enough GPIOs (>=64) connected to hobbiest friendly headers (no PCIe and similar headers)
- FreeRTOS should be available for the SoftCore CPU
- free and good development tools on Linux

Currently I'd prefer some Altera based solution, because:
- I have briefly read about Nios2 and that just seems to be good
- I have heard that the dev tool (Quartus) works well on Linux and that is somewhat better and simpler than Xilinx tools and a bit lighter weight

I have spent many time finding a similar board but I have found nothing. Boards what I have found are too simple or too complicated.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited:

As an alternative, is there a board which doesn't have the required external SRAM and parallel flash configuraion, but its FPGA has at least 512kByte internal Block RAM and it hasn't got planetary price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back