Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [moved] Fourier Transform Related Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzafar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,

I am asked to find Fourier transform of y[n] in terms of Fourier transform of x[n].. attached is my attempt! I have a specific question at the end of the attempt.

image.jpg

Re: Fourier Transform Related Question

The definition of y[n] is not valid! if n = 1 y[n] = x[1/3]??? No! You probably have to specify that y[n] = x[n/3] for n = 3k, where k is and integer. This is called upsampling. In that case the second sum you wrote is correct. However, your parenthesis: e^-jw(3k) is misleading! You should have written e^-j(3w) k. You have to realize that X(e^jw) while standard, it a bit of an abuse of notation. Really the DTFT is a function of w. The sum you wrote is just the DTFT with 3w replacing w. Therefore we can do the same in X(e^jw) -> X(e^3jw), number 2.

Reactions: dzafar

dzafar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Fourier Transform Related Question

Small typo, you have to specify that y[n] = x[n/3] for n = 3k, where k is and integer AND 0 OTHERWISE.

Status
Not open for further replies.