Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] PIC microcontroller stopped working with no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

brat_g

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

I made a circuit based on PIC16F877a to control a stepper motor and run a character LCD.
everything was working fine, but the MCU freezed once and didn't start again with reset/ power off-on.
I am able to reprogram the MCU and verify the code, but it's not working anymore, even with a simple LED blinking program.
I tried a brand new microcontroller and everything is working fine again.
I'm really confused and can not understand why the first MCU stopped working and I'm afraid that this might happen again in service.

any ideas about what might caused this problem?

(The MCU is powered with a 7805 regulator, L298 motor driver is used for controlling stepper motor, MCLR is pulled-up and not floating)

Your PIC was damaged. How do you expect anyone to tell you why? We can just make wild guesses, or you could provide more information. Like a schematic?

About the only thing that can damage a PIC is applying to high a voltage to it on any of its pins. Have you checked the back EMF from your stepper motor?

I had faced the same problem, but my project was not running a motor it just operate a relay and a buzzer, and both of them were isolated from the PIC by optocoupular. Relay.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.