Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

real model capacitors in amplifier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

patra4ever777777

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone,

im building a power amplifier 5-6 ghz bandwidth and i had to put one capacitor at the input and one at the output to make the imaginary part of impedance zero and then with a multisection chebysev l/4 i matched the inut and output impedances to 50 ohms..
my ideal capacitors have ideal values of 3.1 pf at the input and 9.67 at the output.. but when i try to replace them with the real models from Murata the whole thing goes down.. i tried many values but they dont seem to fit..and some fit but only for a frequency like for example 5 ghz but for the others i have bad results..
any suggestions?
thnx a lot!!

I think you can try to model each of the two capacitors with a spice equivalent, that is an RLC model. Then do the optimization with fixed R, L and variable C. Once the ideal C has been found, replace the whole RLC model with the s-parameters of the real capacitor. Probably R will be negligible, so you can try with just an LC series. You could estimate the L value from the self-resonance frequency of the capacitor.
I hope it works.

Another approach that is better, but probably longer to implement, is to ask your simulator to optimize using capacitors taken by a list of s-parameter models.

yeah, you see i already have the libraries with all the capacitors that Murata provides.. ok then ill try to make some optimization as you proposed thanks a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back