Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer 2 as a counter in PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamech

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I know that only timer 0 and timer 1 in PIC16F877 can be used as counters as they have connection with external pins, but I found that in peripheral features in data sheet tells that timer 2 also is timer/counter. As far as I know this is not true. Is it written by mistake? or there is really something that I do not know that can make timer 2 work as a counter like timer 0 and 1??

I do not see a way. I checked the port pin descriptions where T2CKI is not mentioned in any of the ports. Timer 2 registers do not mention a clock source bit. Nor does the Timer 2 diagram mention a clock source other than Fosc/4.

It is possible it was copy paste or the are using counter in slightly confusing way.

Reactions: mamech

mamech

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I do not see a way. I checked the port pin descriptions where T2CKI is not mentioned in any of the ports. Timer 2 registers do not mention a clock source bit. Nor does the Timer 2 diagram mention a clock source other than Fosc/4.

It is possible it was copy paste or the are using counter in slightly confusing way.

this is the point, that is why I asked so I become sure that it is not an ignorance from me about usage of timer2

The datasheet on the Microchip web site certainly says that Timer2 is a 'timer' and not a 'timer/counter' as is does for Timer0 and Timer1.
Can you post the the reference where is says that Timer2 is a 'timer/counter'? It may be possible to tell the writers of the problem and get it corrected.
Susan

Reactions: mamech

mamech

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The datasheet on the Microchip web site certainly says that Timer2 is a 'timer' and not a 'timer/counter' as is does for Timer0 and Timer1.
Can you post the the reference where is says that Timer2 is a 'timer/counter'? It may be possible to tell the writers of the problem and get it corrected.
Susan
it is mentioned explicitly in peripheral features section , page 1 in datasheet.

I see that - thanks for the reference.
I suggest that you raise a documentation error ticket with Microchip to have that corrected.
Susan

I see that - thanks for the reference.
I suggest that you raise a documentation error ticket with Microchip to have that corrected.
Susan

you are welcome, Actually it is not the first time that I find a mistake in this datasheet, but senior members here told me that this datasheet is too old currently (it is dated to year 2000 I think), so it is no more updated or revised, I think that microchip already knows but just ignores this.

Status
Not open for further replies.